Firearms Safety FAQ's Rockford, MI

Contact us
Firearm Safety FAQ Rockford, MI

As a gun shooting range and training center, we get a lot of questions from first-time gun owners about proper gun safety.

To help eliminate some of the confusion, Protection Tactics created this online guide to firearms safety to help you get started. If you have any other questions, be sure to ask one of our firearms training instructors at (616) 884-5070.

What’s the different between CCW and CPL?

CCW stands for Concealed Carry of a Weapon, which is a generic term referring to all different types of concealed weapons. In the state of Michigan, you’ll need a CPL (Concealed Carry Pistol License) to carry a concealed loaded gun on your body or in your car.

How do I get my Concealed Carry Pistol License?

If you have felonies or disqualifying convictions, you won’t be eligible for a Concealed Carry Pistol License. Follow these steps to get a CPL:

  • Complete concealed carry training course
  • Fill out application packet, including 2 passport photos
  • Submit application packet to county’s clerk with processing fee of $105
  • Take receipt to Sherriff department or local law enforcement agency to get finger printed and have background checked
  • Wait 45 days from receipt of report for gun board to issue or deny CPL.

Can I use my Concealed Carry Pistol License outside of Michigan?

Each state’s gun laws are different. This is why it’s important to check the gun laws for a state before traveling. While some states will recognize and honor a license from another state (reciprocity), others won’t. The most reliable and up-to-date information can be found on the website for the state of Michigan or the state you plan on visiting.

What do I need for the CPL class?

  • Writing utensil and paper to take notes
  • Ear protection (we provide this)
  • Safety glasses (we provide this)
  • Handgun you plan on carrying for self- defense
  • Extra magazines for semi-autos or speed loaders for revolvers
  • Foul weather gear (only thunderstorms will stop classes)

How much does handgun rental cost?

Handguns can be rented for class for a $25 fee. For your safety, you won’t be able to use your own ammunition with a handgun rental. Five dollars will get you around 20 to 50 rounds of ammunition depending on the size caliber.

Can I carry immediately after completing the course?

You must wait for your license to come from your county gun board, which can take anywhere from three weeks to six months. You won’t be able to conceal carry your handgun until you receive your license.

What gun is recommended for self-defense?

This one is easy—I recommend a 12-gauge shotgun. However, it is a little challenging to carry it concealed.  The gun I would recommend would be whatever you can handle while still shooting accurately. Go to our firing range that sells guns and try several before buying one. If you don’t test fire at least 5 to 10 guns before you purchase, you are absolutely selling yourself short.

Can I get a refund?

Since our firearm training services are offered at affordable prices, we don’t offer refunds. The only exception is if you were not satisfied with our performance. Any refund will have a $50 cancellation fee per person.